SMALL actively brings art to the community.
SMALL is a stimulant for art engagement, conversation and interaction.
SMALL is the place to meet artists, access art, discuss art, see art, exhibit art and make art. SMALL occurs bi-monthly, taking place at weekends in the OLD BAKERY STUDIOS, Truro.
Each SMALL event will showcase an edit of an artist’s work. Students, hobbyists and professional artists will offer a unique glimpse into their practice. They will offer insights into their ideas, feelings, concepts, techniques, processes and results.
Saturdays’ guests will have a unique opportunity to directly discuss the art up close with its authors through raw, unfiltered dialogue. Gallerists, buyers, curators and collectors are invited to participate, presenting and networking with creators and consumers.
Occasionally, SMALL will take on a theme, connecting artist and audience via a common topic or current movement. SMALL will host a SMALL art party on the Saturday evening of each weekend which may, at intervals, include performance pieces, readings, poetry, live music or talks, alongside socialising and non-obligatory dancing.
In addition to SMALL talks and exhibitions, SMALL will begin the weekend by offering an additional art workshop (booked separately), guided by an artist for those wanting to be hands-on. The works created in this workshop will be on display for the day.
On the Sunday of the SMALL weekend, the OLD BAKERY STUDIO’s café will host a SMALL art book review of an artist’s work, relating to the weekends’ stories, and continue to display all participants’ work. SMALL in space and time, large in possibility and activity.
SMALL is for ALL.
SERIES : 01 / ANARCHY IN THE UK ?
06 04 2019
SATURDAY : PT 01
A SMALL ART CLASS
GUIDE : Rob Unett
THEME : ‘Chaos’
TIME : 1100hrs – 1500hrs
WHERE : Workshop Space / Ground Floor COST : 10.00gbp
PLACES AVAILABLE : X10
SATURDAY : PT 02
ART STUDENT TALK
SPEAKER : TBC
TIME : 1600hrs – 1630hrs
WHERE : Communal Gallery / First floor COST : 03.00gbp
PLACES AVAILABLE : X15
SATURDAY : PT 03
ARTIST TALK + SMALL SHOW
ARTIST : TBC
TIME ARTIST TALK : 1700hrs – 1730hrs
TIME ARTIST SMALL SHOW : 1830hrs – 2000hrs WHERE : SMALL SPACE Top Floor (S19)
COST : 07.00gbp
PLACES AVAILABLE : X15
SATURDAY : PT 04
HOST : STANLEY DUKE PERFORMANCES BY :
TIME : 2000hrs – 2300hrs
WHERE : EVENT SPACE / Ground floor COST : 05.00gbp on the door
1000hrs – 1600hrs
All SMALL spaces are open
SUNDAY : PT 05
ARTIST BOOK REVIEW
HOST : ROB UNETT + SOPHIE CAPRON
ARTIST BOOK :
TIME : 1100hrs – 1230hrs
WHERE : OLD BAKER STUDIOS CAFE / Ground floor
COST : 05.00gbp on the door includes tea / coffee and a pastry PLACES AVAILABLE : X10
SMALL ADVANCED PACKAGES
ATTEND EVERYTHING 06 + 07 April 2019 18.00 gbp
ATTEND X2 TALKS 06 April 2019 06.00 gbp
ATTEND ARTCLASS + X2 TALKS 06 April 2019
ATTEND X2 TALKS + CLUB 06 April 2019
YOU CAN BOOK AND PAY FOR AN INDIVIDUAL SESSION LISTED IN THE LEFT COLUMN OR ONE OF THE PACKAGES ABOVE VIA THE OLD BAKERY STUDIOS FACEBOOK EVENTS SECTION
TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT ITS ADVISABLE YOU BOOK IN ADVANCE. YOU CAN PAY ON THE DOOR FOR ANY LISTED EVENT BUT AVAILABILITY IS LIMITED
SMALL SERIES : 01 / ANARCHY IN THE UK ?
SMALL IS NOW BOOKING IN ARTISTS FOR TALKS, ALONG WITH AN EDITED TEMPORARY SHOW OF THEIR CHOSEN WORKS. SMALL IS LOOKING FOR ARTISTS WHO POTENTIALLY, BUT NEEDN’T BE EXCLUSIVELY, CONTRIBUTE TO THE SMALL SERIES 01 THEME: ‘ANARCHY IN THE UK?’
Our departure from the European Union has opened up intense streams of dialogue that ask us who are we as a collective, who we are as individuals and how a diverse range of opinions can form a united society at a time when we need to come together. Information, mis-information, lies, truths, raised voices, passionate protests are an everyday norm. What unites us all is the question: what happens next?
As a professional artist, student or hobbyist artist, performer, designer, gallerist, curator, photographer, does your work examine, depict politics or political impact, societal polarisation, division or disruption? Does your work manifest or feature anarchy, or is the process one of disruption in order to create? Does your work make a statement about this moment right now, or offer questions, answers or simply food for thought about a collective confusion? Or do you have a different take on the theme?
Regardless of how literal or abstract your interpretation is, we would like to hear from you. We want to create a SMALL exhibition of works that get us, as a community, talking, regardless of our position. Work can be anything from process to outcome, a talk, an essay or a performance - you choose.
1 SMALL SPACE ARTIST TALKS
SMALL SPACE is situated on the top floor of OLD BAKERY STUDIOS. The SMALL SPACE plays host to the SMALL artist talks and the showcasing of an edit of the artist’s work.
- Artists can come from any angle. Their work can be in direct relation to the theme or however they choose to interpret it.
- Each participating artist will have all day Saturday until their event starts to decide with the curators the play of their talk and the placement of work.
- Artists must have their SMALL space readied by 1700hrs. on the Saturday, the day of their talk.
- Each artist must prepare or be able to talk through their work for 20 minutes, allowing a further 10 minutes for Q&A.
- After the talk, the artist and the SMALL team will repurpose the space with the artist’s physical work, ready for a showcasing event where artist and guests can meet and talk.
- SMALL provides the space, a projector and wall space. Please liaise with us about your needs, technical information and expectations.
- The artist’s work must be displayed for the totality of the SMALL weekend schedule and be collected at the close of the of the weekend. The work must then be collected on the close of the weekend (Sunday) 1600hrs.
- The work you present is of your choosing. Maybe it is new works that you are looking for feedback on or an edit of your past work that you’d like to talk to about. The choices of how you utilize the space are endless.
- Lets talk. Get in touch - firstname.lastname@example.org
SMALL SERIES : 01 / ANARCHY IN THE UK ?
SMALL IS NOW TAKING SUBMISSIONS FOR THE OLD BAKERY STUDIOS - COMMUNAL GALLERY. WE ARE LOOKING FOR WORK THAT CONTRIBUTES TO THE SMALL SERIES 01 THEME: ‘ANARCHY IN THE UK?’. PLEASE FIND A DESCRIPTION ABOUT THE THEME ON PAGE 03.
2 COMMUNAL GALLERY
The COMMUNAL GALLERY situated on the first floor of OLD BAKERY STUDIOS is two-fold in its purpose and activity.
The COMMUNAL GALLERY is a space where artists can submit work to be exhibited for 2 months. Work may fit in with a theme or be presented as part of a mixed exhibition. The SMALL team will organise this. The first COMMUNAL GALLERY exhibition will be open for 2 months. Running from 6th April to 30th May 2019.
- Each work submitted should have a 150 word statement to hang next to it in order to explain the correlation with the theme or other reason for relevance.
- Old Bakery Studios residents can submit work for free. Artists outside of the Old Bakery will be charged a £5 fee to take part payable on delivery of the work.
- Participants in the communal gallery exhibition will have to be present ‘as one’ to actively discuss the space curation and hang the work.
- Participants must be able to drop off and hang work, leave it for two months and collect work prior to the next exhibition install.
- Participants are advised to visit the space beforehand and familiarise themselves with it. 3 STUDENT PRACTITIONER TALKS
The COMMUNAL GALLERY is also the space where a student practitioner within the arts can talk through and present their work for discussion, feedback or any personal objective.
- Students from any course, nationwide, within the arts can get in touch to be involved.
- Students can come from any angle. Their work can be in direct relation to the theme or however they choose to interpret it.
- The work could be sketchbooks, process, techniques, one piece or a folio. It’s up to the student artist what they want to show and say and what they want in return.
- Student will have Saturday 0900hrs – 1500hrs to organize their moment. Students must be ready to present to the audience by 1600hrs, giving a 10 minute maximum talk, then allowing for a further 20 minutes for audience Q&A opportunity.
- Students should liaise with SMALL about what they would like to present and the tools required to do so. Please liaise with us about your technical needs, space information and expectations.
All submissions, questions and thoughts, guide them toward us - email@example.com
Read the SMALL print.
Its not actually SMALL
IMPORTANT INFOMATION TO ALL PARTICIPANTS :
SMALL Artist talk and display space is on the top floor of the Old Bakery Studios. The COMMUNAL GALLERY space, student talk and exhibition is situated on the 1st floor of the Old Bakery Studios, just above the café. There are two access points in the building with the café being the main public access route.
• SMALL is non-profit and not funded.
• SMALL is organized and delivered by passionate local, Truronian artists, fee free.
• Any sales from the audience for tickets, talks or classes, pay for the space, building works and administration.
• SMALL is not able to fund participants in anyway. We offer the SPACES for artists for free, for participants to use however they want.
• Participants must do their own risk assessment of the spaces provided and insure their own work.
• The OLD BAKERY STUDIOS, SMALL, + OBS | ART and are not liable for any cost, overheads, damage or theft of exhibited works.
• SMALL sales of artwork are made at the artist’s discretion. Any art sold as part of, or in relation to, SMALL events are subject to a 20% contribution of the artworks price, to go toward SMALL future events.
• If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org